Wednesday 24 November 2010

November 24th

*coughs*

I'm ill.

*coughs again*

I would talk about my day, but I think I'll have a rant instead.

Basically, there is this Person X. Person X is a teacher. Or, to put it more plainly, Person X likes to think they are a teacher and they actually can't teach for toffee. I shall present you with an example.

So, we have coursework to do. A comparison essay (I think quite a few people may know who I'm talking about now...). So we go along, going through each of the themes, choosing our essay theme. We make one venn diagram, which Person X doesn't check. Person X sets us homework; to complete the introduction and two paragraphs of the essay for the following week. Come that day, I 'forget mine'. I send Person X an email saying I haven't got it and apologising profusely. Person X replies: 'If you have any notes bring those. It is important to see the process of self assessment - perhaps bring an old essay.'  That's quoted, by the way.

So we come to the lesson. Person X does not ask for the homework. She does not ask to see it. She does not ask us whether we have done it. She does not even mention the damn homework. The lesson is on something completely unrelated to the coursework. So much for 'the process of self-assessment'.

She then asks for the whole essay to be in tomorrow. No draft, no nothing, as far as I am aware.

Not only is this a gross neglect for the needs of our class, it gives the impression that she is careless and uncaring about her position. Asking us to complete an essay with the amount of preparation we have done (for the record, one venn diagram) is unrealistic and frankly ridiculous. Moreover, she is unenthusiastic and dull, which consequently slides over to us, making us unwilling to work and very, very bored. She is not up to scratch to teach an A Level class. The A does, after all, stand for 'advanced'.

I know that people might say 'Just shut up. Just shut up, stop complaining and get on with it.' But, you see, I can't do that. I'm lazy, and I will be the first to admit that. I forget homework, I end up doing essays at two, three, four o'clock in the morning because I've procrastinated all evening. If I fail my exam down to my laziness, because I didn't work hard enough, then that will be entirely my fault and I can come to terms with that. But if I fail my exam because of bad teaching, because it has not been explained, or explained well enough, or just not been mentioned at all, I cannot accept that. That's just not good enough.

If I can get a few more people to back me, then I'll go to Miss Sherry and say something a lot like what I have just said. Anyone willing?

It might snow soon. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment