Friday 14 January 2011

January 14th

Another...odd day. I couldn't really think of the right way to describe it. I guess I just felt a little disconnected from the whole 'life' thing today. No matter.

In terms of lessons, though, my day was actually marginally better than the rest of the days this week! *cheers* I...dissaggerate? Euphemise? It was actually a lot better than it has been. Not that it's been awful, I've just been bored, again, as usual :)

So first I had a free, in which I did my English homework (two thirds of it...). I think we went a bit to far with giggling about Regeneration... *Alice finishes reading explicit paragraph* 'Is that it?'

Then Biology, which was fairly hassle free. Carrying on with the self study units and shizzle, so no heckling or putting hands up or being asked to answer questions. I guess I just put my head down and worked in silence on my own. And it was nice, considering.

Then, English, with Miss Ford, thank GOD. But she'd lost her voice and was reduced to a whisper for the whole lesson. Oddly enough, Miss Ford whispering was more engaging than Miss Kear talking. Maybe it's because you had to listen harder. But I got my coursework back today too - B. Fairly pleased about that :)

Psychology, which I'd been looking forward to. We were learning about obedience and looked at this experiment which I found absolutely intruiguing and at the same time totally unbelievable. They had two participants (although one wasn't, he was a fake participant, but the real on thought he was a real participant too) who went to Yale university to carry this experiment out, and they put one of the men in front of this machine with lots of switches and the other man in a chair with wires attached to him. The man in front of the switches couldn't see him; he was behind a screen. But the switches indicated voltage levels - when he flipped a switch, the man in the chair would get an 'electric shock' according to which button he pressed. They went from 15V, nothing, to 470V, potentially lethal. There was also an experimentor standing by him, wearing a lab coat, who told him to flip the switches. When he administered the shock, he heard the man 'cry' out - although it wasn't him because they had unstrapped him from the chair and had an old-fashioned tape recorder playing with this man crying out in pain. Their initial prediction was that only 1% of the people doing the experiment would go all the way up to 470V, because only sadists would do that, right?

65% of them went all the way to the top. All because the man in the white coat told them 'It is essential that you carry on with the experiment'.

You see, because he had a white coat on, he was a figure of authority. And these people just did what he said. Of course, they protested, but they still did it. It was shocking. And these were ordinary people, bus drivers, clerks and things. Any one of us might have potentially killed someone because a figure of authority told us to do it. It was scary. And sadistically fascinating. It just shows you that it's not the person, it's the situation that they are in. It explains the Holocaust and Cambodia.

Wow, long post is long. Do I have room to talk about anything else? Well, the only thing I could talk about I guess is Senior Vocal Group. We started learning a new song today. I looked at the music, saw the words 'Joe', 'McElderry', 'Miley' and 'Cyrus' and nearly died on the spot. 'The Climb' is such an annoyingly optimistic song. You're not going to get there, Joe and Miley. Just die. Please. For the good of the nation, and indeed, the world.

WHO REMEMBERS THIS GUY?!


 Am I the only person who does? He suddenly popped into my mind in Biology! His name's Adiboo. He has a dog with a plunger for legs and he taught me how to count ^_^

Night for today. I'm babysitting people today so not sure how much sleep I'll get tonight.

It's the wrong time for somebody new
It's a small crime, and I've got no excuse
And is that alright, yeah?



UPDATE:

Scary ^_^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment